• Chloe Huggins

Grandmother can apply to have grandson live with her

Grandmother can apply to have grandson live with her

A grandmother who failed to get permission to have her grandson live with her can now apply again because she’s moved to a bigger house.

The case involved a two-year-old who was referred to in court as J. He had three siblings.

The local authority became involved with the family before his birth due to concerns about domestic abuse between the mother and her partners. The eldest child was placed with his paternal grandfather under a special guardianship order and the middle two children were placed with the maternal grandmother under final care orders.

She was later approved as a kinship foster carer for them. They continued to have contact with the mother, older brother and J.

Several people were put forward as potential carers for J, but all assessments were negative. At that time, the maternal grandmother was living in a two-bedroom flat and was unable to accommodate J as well as his two brothers.

The local authority proposed that J be adopted, and the judge made care and placement orders.

The grandmother sought leave to apply to revoke the orders on the basis that her circumstances had changed: she had recently rented a three-bedroom house with a garden opposite the older boys' school and could therefore accommodate J alongside his brothers.

Her application was supported by the children's guardian. However, the judge rejected the application on the basis that her circumstances had not changed; it would involve further delay which would be detrimental to J's welfare.

The Court of Appeal has overturned that decision.

It held that the guardian's analysis was perceptive and persuasive. The content of her report addressed the key issues and the judge was wrong to disregard it.

Following the grandmother’s move to significantly larger and better accommodation, she was now able to offer J a home. That opened up the prospect of him being brought up within his family and forming a close relationship with his siblings and his grandmother, and a relationship with his mother and other family members.

The law required children, where possible, to be brought up in their natural families. Adoption was a measure of last resort, and the grandmother had been caring for the middle children very well. In those circumstances, it had to be in J's interests to at least explore the possibility of being placed in his grandmother's care.

The grandmother should be granted leave to apply to revoke the placement order and apply for a special guardianship order.

If you would like more information or advice about the issues raised in this article, or any aspect of family law please contact our expert legal team on 02080040065, by email at hello@southgate.co.uk or using the form below.

Case Citations: [2020] EWCA Civ 1253,


CA (Civ Div) (Underhill LJ, Baker LJ, Arnold LJ)

The contents of this article are general information only. The information in this article is not legal or professional advice. The law may have changed since this article was published. Readers should not act on the basis of the information included and should obtain independent expert advice from qualified solicitors such as those within our firm.

What We Offer You





Expert Solicitors, Legal Experts, Solicitor, Family Law Expert, Family Law Solicitors, Divorce Lawyers, Divorce Experts, Divorce Solicitors
Price Promise, Low Fees, Low Costs, Fixed-Fees, Best Prices




Enquiry Line

​24/7 Enquiry Line
Skype Meetings, Telephone Conferences, Facetime Meetings, Webcam, Remote Meetings, Flexible

Out of Hours




Quick Responses, Same Day Call, Quick Chat, Urgent Service
Out of Hours Appointments, Evening Meetings, Weekend Meetings, Evening Appointments, Weekend Appointments, Saturday Appointments

No Hidden




No Hidden Fees, Low Costs, Best Prices, Low Cost Divorce, Fixed-Fees, Best Prices, Reasoanble Legal Fees
Modern Service, Technology, Secure Electronic Access, Electronic Files, Paperless



Law Society


Law Society Accreditation, Family Law Advanced Panel, Family Law Advanced Accreditation, Law Society Panel
Expedited Services, Urgent Service, Quick Service, Urgent Matters, Emergency Cases
Do you need to discuss your family law matter with a solicitor?
Call us now or send an enquiry below to discuss your options!